Original Reports

A Day Watching DPW

Since I retired I have time to do things that I think help the town. I have watched the Fire Dept. because people told me things about the operation didn’t seem right. I found out part of it was true, and the reason was justified. After watching four guys struggle down stairs with a 450-pound heart attack victim, it was clear: They need more than two people most of the time.

Recently I was asked to follow a Public Works crew to observe and keep a log of their movements. I did just that today, and here are my notes. You tell me is this right? Should we have to pay for this?

6:50 a.m. I arrived at the Public Works garage. I sat in my truck watching the lot. Several people arrived and entered the building.

7:15 a.m. Several people came out of the building to start trucks and equipment. Some went back in the building; others sat in the trucks.

7:40 a.m. The crew I’m following drove out of the DPW. There were a total of four trucks: three town trucks and a privately owned bucket truck the town hires by the hour.

8:00 a.m. The crew arrived in the area of Neck Rd., where they had been cutting trees the day before. Four town employees sat in the trucks.

8:10 a.m. They all got out, pulling out tools as the bucket truck set up to start cutting.

9:15 a.m. The crew stopped work, and the bucket truck folded up. All four trucks drove to Gray’s for a break.They were in the store and parking lot for about 20 minutes, then they drove all four trucks back to Neck Rd. When they arrived, they sat in the trucks for a few minutes.

9:45 a.m. The crew came out of the trucks and stood around for several minutes. The bucket truck went back up, and branches started to fall again. The chipper started about 10 minutes later.

11:45 a.m. The crew started cleaning up, and the bucket truck folded. All four trucks heading north to Dunkin’ Donuts in the North End. They were there about 45 minutes then drove back to Neck Rd., where they sat in the trucks for a while.

1:15 p.m. The crew was just starting again. The bucket truck was dropping branches, and I can see the wood chips flying in the woods.

2:00 p.m. The crew cleaned up tools, and the bucket truck folded up. All four trucks drove to Gray’s. They were in the store and parking lot for about 20 minutes, then employees drove back to Neck Rd. to sit in the trucks again.

2:35 p.m. They got out of the trucks, and the bucket truck went up to cut branches. The chipper started, and branches started dropping.

3:00 p.m. They packed up, folded up the bucket truck, and the trucks drove to the Public Works garage.

End of Day




Related Articles

Back to top button